Saturday, November 11, 2006

Personal Finance for the Military

On Veterans Day, My Wealth Builder pays tribute to those who have proudly served in our Armed Forces. My thanks to our veterans who have defended America and protected our freedom.

In honor of Veterans Day, I would like to recognize personal finance sites for the military. While most personal finance situations and challenges are similar to those of civilians, there are several situations unique to the military. My father-in-law is a retired Colonel from the Air Force and he and I have had some discussions about the differences. I recently became aware of two sites from comment and e-mail exchanges with the authors: Dimes to Dollars - A Military Wife's Guide to Personal Finance and Money for Military.

Dimes and her husband are in their twenties and her blog espouses four personal finance tenets: 1) If you can’t afford it, don’t buy it; 2) Begin with your goals in mind; 3) Recurring transfers are your friend; and 4) Set up a budget. All are good principles. She also provides lots of good tips and perspective. Importantly, she promotes excellent savings habits. Not only do they “pay themselves first,” they also put any remaining money from each month’s paycheck into their savings!

Money for Military writes he is “just a military member who obsessed with finances” and he returns part of his advertising revenue to the military. I found his blog to be an interesting blend personal finance and people stories about the military. He provides a wide range of personal finance information and tips covering personal finance approaches, real estate, taxes, stocks, and mutual funds. In particular, I enjoyed his interviews with other authors of military blogs. These interviews (and the related blogs) provide great insights into interesting aspects of life in the military.

I hope you enjoy reading their posts as much as I did.

This is not financial advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2006 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

1 comment:

Dimes said...

Oh wow, thanks so much for the plug! Now I have a reputation to live up to, but at least this will keep me in check.
Hope you're doing well.