Thursday, August 21, 2008

Men's Age In Their Minds

Older men see themselves as 31 as 32 in their heads theorizes Douglas Copeland in an MSN.com article, no matter what their actual (older) age. I checked with a few colleagues at a recent happy hour, and they nodded their heads. I also recall my father-in-law saying that it took him a minute to recognized the older guy, i.e. himself, in recent family pictures.

I guess 31 to 32 is even a little old for me. I used to tell friends that I'm don't feel much different from when I was 18 years old, with the main difference being much more responsibility, and a bit more money. Okay, and more maturity:-) Here are some of the areas that I see being the same:

  • Highly involved. I was very active in high school, with the major areas of interest being student council, sports, and academics. I continue to be actively involved in similar areas (politics, athletics and personal education) in adulthood.


  • Personal finance. Even back then I was a frugal spender and a big saver. The entire earnings from my first summer job was put into college savings. As a junior in college, I managed a student run business. As an adult, I continue to be just as frugal and as big a saver.


  • Spontaneity. At 18, I loved the ability to do things at the spur of the moment, and having unplanned time. While there aren't as many opportunities now, I still enjoy spontaneous moments, even if it occasionally distracts me from my work.
  • However, there are major changes from those youthful times. Physically, I am no longer an 18 year old. Although my mind wants to compete like I'm that young, my body is no longer capable. Even trying can lead to injury. And when a waitress flirts with me now, she probably sees someone who is her dad's generation :-)

    For more on Crossing Generations, check back every Thursday for a new segment.

    This is not financial or aging advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

    Copyright © 2008 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

    No comments: