Friday, August 01, 2008

My Retirement Award

When I retired in my forties in 2007, one benefit was a retirement gift. I kept putting it off because: 1) getting a retirement award made me feel old; and 2) there were too many choices. In June, 2008, after procrastinating for nine months, I decided to order the gift.

The choices were numerous. As a retiree, I could order any retirement gift or a gift from the previous service year awards (e.g. 5, 10, 15 ... years). The choices included watches, jewelry, luggage, telescopes, cameras, and household furnishings. In the past, I had generally chosen something fun and useful -- coasters, and a compact fishing rod were some of my previous choices.

There were hundreds of choices and I was torn between something fun and useful, or an item of recognition. In the end, I chose an award that does both, a clock for our dining room. The clock was useful, fun (since I could display items in it) and came with a brass plate acknowledging my retirement and years of service.

The award arrived last week and the manufacturer dispatched a service representative to unpack and set up the clock. Overall, the clock was an excellent choice. I get to see it everyday as a reminder of my first career, but it doesn't stand out as an award since it blends in with the other furniture.

For more on Reaping the Rewards Reflections, check back every Friday for a new segment.

This is not financial or retirement advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2008 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: