Tuesday, May 05, 2009

I Won't Follow This Advice #5

Occasionally, I read commercially published articles which provide advice very different to what I have found successful in my own experience. I will be highlighting these articles periodically in a "I Won't Follow This Advice" segment. These segments represent my opinion and one should consult a professional before making any decisions. Here's segment #5.

The article Live off the the land -- in the city at MSN.com shares some extreme ideas for hunting and gathering food in urban areas. Some of the more radical options include harvesting edible weeds from yards, catching city game such as squirrels, possums or raccoons, and fishing in urban ponds.

None of the radical options are ones that I would consider, even in times of severe recession. I agree with many of the commenters that eating wild urban flora and fauna has many risks, including pesticides, disease and toxins. To me, the risks are not worth taking for many of the free food options.

Personally, I limit urban foraging to eating vegetables from my father-in-law's home garden, food samples at local groceries and free hors d'oeuvres at happy hours.

For more on Ideas You Can Use, check back every Tuesday for a new segment.

Photo Credit: morgueFile.com, Clara Natoli

This is not financial advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2009 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: