Friday, August 14, 2009

Retirement - Making the best of this life stage

Since we retired in our forties, we will have quite a bit of time in this life stage. Based on the current life expectancy tables, I'm planning on about thirty to forty more good years. Up until now, I've been focused on doing well in education and work. For this next phase, my focus will shift to the following areas:

  • Make a difference. I think back to all the individuals that made a difference in my life, e.g. parents, siblings, teachers, coaches and friends. These people help me develop, mature and be successful. I hope to have such an impact on others, especially our daughter.

    For now, I want to focus on individuals versus a broader goal of society and world :-)


  • Nurture interests. Since retiring, I've been rediscovering my early interests, which had fallen aside during my work years. I will spend more time on these interests and, hopefully, be able to share with my spouse and daughter.


  • Keep connections. For me, many of my best friendships were developed before I was 30. I have been consciously re-connecting with old friends, with whom I've lost touch over the past 40 years. This goal may even lead me to join social networking sites such as Facebook.

  • Explore new areas. Without the demands of work, I will have time and opportunities to explore areas that are new to me. I look forward to the excitement of learning new things.
  • By focusing effort on these four elements, I expect to have a interesting and productive life stage in retirement.

    For more on Reaping the Rewards, check back every Friday for a new segment.

    This is not financial or retirement advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

    Copyright © 2009 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

    No comments: