Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Potential Scam Phone Calls

Recently, we've been getting phone calls where there seems to be no party on the other end. Since we have caller ID, I decided to find out the origin of the phone call. When I typed the phone number in search, it returned a list of phone numbers which were associated with scam complaints. Apparently, anyone who called the list of numbers was charged $1 on their phone bill. Thus, the scammers are depending on people with caller ID to call back because the caller receiver believes they are returning a legitimate missed call.

I know this happens because I've occasionally made calls to wrong numbers, and the receiver called me back immediately. However, now that I know about this scam, I won't automatically call back numbers that I don't recognize.

For more on Ideas You Can Use, check back every Tuesday for a new segment.

This is not financial advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2009 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: