Saturday, February 06, 2010

Writer's Block

I haven't written an article since Tuesday, February 2, 2010, which is the longest hiatus in posting since I started My Wealth Builder. Each day and night, I would sit at my computer to write the article, and nothing came. It was the longest experience I've had with writer's block. Here are some of the causes, for this week:
  • Nothing left to write. After 3 1/2 years and 1408 articles, I've just run of out topics on which to post. My college roommate once commented, that I won't talk if I don't have anything worth saying. Perhaps I can't write, if I don't have any thoughts worth sharing. After all, with 1408 articles on personal finance, is there much more new to write? :-)


  • A busy work week. I usually only work 10-20 hours in my seasonal part-time job. However, last week, one colleague retired because of an illness and one colleague went to the hospital with pneumonia. As result, the rest of the office picked up the hours. Many of us, including me, put in over 40 hours this week, which I haven't done since taken early retirement in October, 2007.


  • Other distractions. There just was a lot to do this week. I prepared for applying to two new part-time jobs. My tennis league games started again and I'm in the second month of restarting my fitness workouts. Our daughter kindergarten application needed to be finalized this week. Finally, it snowed a lot the last couple days. Although we don't live at ground zero of the storm, we still got enough snow, and media anticipation of snow :-), to disrupt our normal routines.


  • Needed a short vacation. I did a lot of "me" things instead of blogging. Instead of getting up early or staying up to write a post, I slept in or went to bed early. I read The Wall Street Journal daily, which had suspended delivery until this week. I played with our five year old daughter an extra hour each day. It was nice to have a break from blogging for the past three days.
  • The last four days have been a great break, which should benefit My Wealth Builder. I've had some time just to think, about what's happening to me, my family and the world. As a result, there are couple new topic directions I'll be taking My Wealth Builder, which will happen in the next couple weeks. Hopefully, my readers will appreciate the changes :-)

    For more on Reflections and Musings, check back every Saturday for a new segment.

    This is not financial or writing advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

    Copyright © 2010 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

    No comments: