Thursday, November 11, 2010

Impressive Progress in Kindergarten

Our daughter just passed her 5oth day of kindergarten. I'm amazed at how much her skills have advanced in those fifty days. Here are some of the major progress areas:

  • Reading - Over the summer, our daughter learned how to read some simple books, e.g. Bob books, which were mostly three letter words. She can now read some higher level books with ease. She can sound out many new words. I was surprised one day when she asked me about an entry on my calendar that she had read on her own.


  • Writing - Her ability to write letters and numbers correctly has improved significantly. She recognizes the proper use of upper and lower case letters.


  • Spelling - She is able to sound out many words and identify the consonants. She is still learning the proper vowels to use with each syllable.
  • Overall, my spouse, who has many teachers in her family, deserves a lot of the credit. She has spent a lot of time and effort working with our daughter on practicing these skills. My daughter deserves the rest of the credit for focusing on doing the work. I get a little bit of credit for emphasizing the importance of thinking to discover answers.

    Next quarter, she will begin working on math and I look forward to observing the progress she makes in the subject.

    For more on Crossing Generations, check back every Thursday for a new segment.

    This is not financial, education or parenting advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

    Copyright © 2010 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

    No comments: