Monday, February 28, 2011

My Career Limiting Move

"Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time." Malcolm Forbes

Yesterday, my boss pulled me aside to explain an issue that had been discovered. Apparently, one of my client's info sheets had become attached become to another client's packet. Here was the conversation:

"I don't thnk it's my fault that someone else took my client's papers and put them with their client's paper," I defended, know that I was right.

"I'm not assigning fault," my boss replied.

"Aren't we supposed to look through every sheet, before giving a client their paperwork?" I asked remembering the training I had been given.

"Well, I don't look through every sheet," my boss replied. (May have been hint#1.)

"Well, what do you want me to do to solve the problem?" I asked thinking there was a solution.

"I don't know. I was just letting you know," my boss replied.

Later I asked a colleague about who should be responsible for making sure the paperwork given to one's client is correct. He danced around the question saying he didn't want to get in the middle. He implied that I should have looked for the missing piece of paper. (May have been hint #2). For reference I just assumed I hadn't hit the print key when the sheet wasn't on our shared printer. From that discussion, he has lowered my respect for him to zero.

Anyway, my esteem for some of my colleagues and the company is quickly declining this year. My earlier estimate of only working one or two more years in this part time job may have been optimistic. There's a chance this may be my last year. My only regret is losing the relationship I have with some of my long time clients. Those are the people that mean the most to me in this job.

For more on Strategies and Plans, check back every Friday for a new segment.

This is not financial or career advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2011 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: