Thursday, February 10, 2011

Rewarding Effort on Math

Our 6 year old daughter dislikes kindergarten math. While she uses reading every day, our daughter doesn't see any benefits for learning math since she does not use math daily. My solution is to link math with an everyday task, such as using money.

A couple times a week, I plan to do addition and subtraction exercises with my daughter with coins. My deal with my daughter is that for every five correct answers in a row, she will get to keep her choice of one set of coins. This has significantly increased her interest in learning math. Fortunately, the total value of coins will be usually under a quarter. However, if I end up losing a lot of money, I will be happy she is learning her math:-)

For more on Crossing Generations, check back every Thursday for a new segment.

This is not financial, parenting or education advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2011 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: