Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Surprise Raise

Since retiring I've not taken my performance appraisals too seriously. I usually put minimum effort into completing them. After all, what benefit will I get? I already know my strengths and weaknesses, I'm happy with my current status, and I'm not going to get a raise. Right, Right and Wrong.

Here's how my post retirement performance appraisals usually go. My strengths and weaknesses are correctly identified. My improvement plan is limited to focusing on my own personal learning goals. I don't get a raise.

The outcome changed with my latest performance appraisal. My strengths and weaknesses relative to the job were correctly identified. I talked about improving one weakness area that I felt was important personally. I got a raise. I nearly fell over. Because I was rated "exceeds expectations" in all categories, I was awarded a 3% raise.

Overall, the experience was exhilarating. It showed me that my strategy of focusing on jobs that matched my strengths was an excellent approach for choosing part time retirement jobs.

For more on New Beginnings, check back every Sunday for a new segment.

This is not financial or career advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2011 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: