Friday, April 06, 2012

Going to Have A Lot of Free Time

At the end of April, I'm going to have a lot of free time as several jobs end or scale back.  First my seasonal financial services job ends on April 17.   Second, the transition of my temporary full time job is complete and my employment will end on April 30.  Finally, after after being called in only once since May 2011, I've been demoted from college prep exams (high demand) to subjects (extremely low demand).

My one remaining part time job only requires about two hours a week.  In addition, managing and writing for My Wealth Builder takes about another five hours a week.  At this point, I don't plan to take on any new part time jobs.  So I am going to have a lot of free time in May and the rest of 2012.

Here's what I plan to do:


  • Home projects.  I put several home projects on hold for the multiple part time jobs in 2010 and the temporary full time job in 2011.  I am going to start up on those projects again: outdoor masonry repairs, indoor grout repair, garage organization, and other general house maintenance.  In addition, we will likely need to replace our driveway this year which will require estimates and choosing a contractor.

  • Lunch with our daughter.  I'd like to start having lunch at with our daughter a couple times a month again.   Our daughter still thinks it's cool to have dad visit for lunch.  It won't be long before she won't want me to attend lunch so I will take advantage of the opportunity now.

  • Investments.  I haven't been very engaged in our investments for the past two years.  I plan to take a few courses and begin actively managing our investments again.  I've already identified a couple of courses to take that are offered by one of my brokers.

  • Hobbies and entertainment.  I've already starting some coin collecting activities with our daughter, which she enjoys.  I will also start using our pool and foosball tables on a more regular basis.   Also, I plan to use my free activities card for our local parks more often to do canoeing, pony rides, bike riding and children's activities.


  • I look forward to having lots of free time this summer to work on the things that I choose :-)

    For more on Reaping the Rewards, check back every Friday  for a new segment.


    This is not financial or retirement advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

    Copyright © 2012 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

    No comments: