Thursday, September 20, 2012

Two Longevity Factors for Men

Someone once commented to me that there aren't many overweight old men.  There seem to be lots of overweight middle aged men.  However, it appears few of them make it to the senior years.  This qualitative observation is supported by this study, Body weight and Mortality. A 27-year follow-up of middle-aged men. In addition,  I learned that being lean isn't the only major factor based on the report Health benefits of leanness limited to fit men. According to the article, being fit is also important.  These results of this study were also summarized in a Time article.

The good news is that I've lost 15% of my weight since retiring in 2007 and am now below the weight at which I entered college.  The bad news is that my fitness is likely also lower.  Until I graduated from college, I estimate I exercised at least 2 hour a day between sports and walking to classes.   Nowadays, I'm lucky to get 1 hour a day for three times a week, which is my 2008 New Year's resolution goal.

Based on these studies, I guess I need to strive for 1 hour of physical exercise per day. 

For more on Crossing Generations, check back every Thursday for a new segment.

This is not financial or health advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2012 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: