Friday, October 12, 2012

Five Years of Early Retirement!

October 2012 marks the five year anniversary of taking early retirement at 49.  I can't believe that it's already been five years. I thought this would be a good opportunity to capture a few thoughts on the experience to date.  First here are my reflections on financial, family time, health and personal development from October 2009 http://my-wealth-builder.blogspot.com/2009/10/reflections-on-two-years-of-early.html  and they still apply today.  Here are some additional perspectives
  • Career - My career and job already seem a lifetime away.  I don't miss corporate life: the stress, the responsibility and being on 24/7.  I used to think I thrived on it.  Now I know better :-)  What I do miss is the daily interaction with a variety of knowledgeable and smart people.


  • No Regrets - However, I don't regret taking my career or doing the job I did.  I would do it again.  Knowing what I know now, I would do it differently to advance faster and further.  Yes, it was high stress and high responsibility, but the compensation was equally high and rewarding.  And it enabled me to retire early.

    I also don't regret retiring, despite the financial challenges of the Great Recession.  The margins of safety that we created were more than enough to enable our retirement to survive.


  • Redirection - I used to devote a most of my energy to my career.  I have redirected that energy towards three areas:  retirement financial management, healthy living and raising our daughter.  Doing well in these three areas is a full time job :-) While the compensation is zero, the rewards are much more satisfying.
  • The past five years have been a transition into retirement, similar to the transition from school to the workforce for me.   It's been a great experience so far.  I look forward to the continued refining of our retirement in the next five years.

    For more on Reflections and Musings, check back every Saturday for a new segment.

    This is not financial or retirement advice. Please consult a professional advisor.


    Copyright © 2012 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    Congratulations on your fifth anniversary of freedom!

    Cheers
    Traineeinvestor