Friday, April 05, 2013

Asking for the Perfect Retirement Job

"If you want something, ask for it.  The worse that can happen is getting the answer 'no.' " ~ me to a new hire class.

This is likely my year doing a season part time financial job, which I have done for six years now.   I think this is the time to quit, based on the changes I'm seeing. Also, I gave my employer some very critical and constructive feedback, which I expect will be ignored again.

However, a colleague thinks my decision to quit is too hasty.  His point is I should first ask for what I want, just in case the company asks me what it would take to return.  At first I declined, but then I decided I needed to follow my own advice that I used to give to new hires.

So here are my requirements for staying:
  • Limited scheduled hours.  I enjoyed only being on schedule for 8-10 hours each week and coming in outside of scheduled hours as required by client appointments.   So my first requirement is only being scheduled 8 hours a week, for two 4 hour days, during weekdays between 10AM - 3PM.
  • Working with only current clients.  I have about 50 clients with whom I regularly work.   In addition, I work with another 50 clients of which about 1/2 are new to the company.  I would only want to work with my regular clients and choose about 10 additional clients with whom to work.
  • Compensation.  My number is $30/hour plus commission.  Since the company is moving towards more bureaucracy, I think I should be paid signficantly above minimum wage.  Then, there is the usual higher than company standards work that I do, which my clients appreciate. 
  • Co-workers.  I want to work with an office where the employees are competent, professional and excellent performers. 
  • There is no way the company will consider my request.   However, should they ask what it would take for me to return, I'm prepared with an answer.

    For more on Reaping the Rewards, check back every Friday for a new segment.

    This is not financial, retirement or career advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

    Copyright © 2013 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

    No comments: