Thursday, February 09, 2017

Keep Learning and Expanding Skills

"Those who improve with age embrace the power of personal growth and personal achievement and begin to replace youth with wisdom, innocence with understanding, and lack of purpose with self-actualization." ~ Bo Bennett

When I was young, I couldn't wait to finish school.   I wanted to complete my learning portion of my life and move on.  Little did I know back then that learning is a lifelong process.  There just isn't a formal process past college and graduate school.

My dad was a great learner.   He was always trying to get better at what he did. I remember him joining Toastmasters to improve his public speaking skills. He was always learning to be a better investor.   After he died, I found a some DVD courses that he had subscribed to in order to get better at using his computer.  I was impressed since he was a very smart man.

When I retired , I took courses at a local vocational school in plumbing, electrical, masonry, and landscaping work.   I also took a real estate agent course.  Finally, I took courses in taxes which helped me get a part time job as a preparer.    All these courses have helped me with my personal activities, as they have enabled me to do some of the work instead of hiring someone.

Lately, I've been borrowing courses on interesting topics from the library.  Next year, I will qualify to audit courses for free from public universities.  I am looking forward to opportunity.

For more on Crossing Generations, check back Thursdays for a new segment.

This is not financial advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2017 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: