Friday, March 05, 2010

I'm on a Roll

By the beginning of 2009, I had only been offered one part time job, which I had taken at the end of 2007, when I took early retirement. I had been rejected for five other positions to which I had applied. Then, at the end of 2009, I applied for and was offered two new part time jobs, including one for which I had been rejected earlier. Two weeks ago, I applied for three more part time jobs, one from my rejected list and two new ones. Surprisingly, this week I received offers for two jobs, and I accepted.

In the course of a year, I've gone from only having one part time job to having five part time jobs. So what has changed?
  • Resume compatible with part time jobs. When I retired in 2007, my resume had only one job that I had for 27 years, in one industry, with one company. It was very similar to a resume of a laid off worker looking for a job in the same field. After 2 years, my resume now includes two part time jobs, showing that I am interested mainly doing part time work. I think employers are more willing to hire part time workers who have been successful part time workers.


  • Smaller applicant pool. In early 2009, it seemed that the recently unemployed were applying for every job opening, including part time positions that were often filled by retirees. Thus, the number of applicants was five to tenfold more than normal. In early 2010, it seems that the applicants for part time jobs has returned closer to typical levels.


  • Targeted application. In early 2009, I was primarily attending job fairs to look for positions. In 2010, I targeted three organizations to call, inquire about openings, and then apply. It was from two of these organizations that I received interviews and offers.
  • For reference, the salaries for the five jobs are: $7.50, $8.00, $14.50, $25.00 and $70.00 per hour. Four out of the five jobs offer employees the use of company products/services for no charge. Three out of the five jobs are seasonal, ranging from three months to nine months in duration. Best of all, the five jobs meet the criteria for what I consider great part time jobs for a retiree.

    I'm looking forward to starting the new jobs, even though I will be carrying five part time jobs. Fortunately, two of the jobs finish by the end of the school year, and the other three jobs have high flexibility, enabling me to still enjoy a summer vacation.

    For more on Reaping the Rewards, check back every Friday for a new segment.

    This is not financial, retirement or employment advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

    Copyright © 2010 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

    2 comments:

    Manshu said...

    Congratulations! Nice to hear this.

    Daddy Paul said...

    I'm glad to hear the economy is getting better somewhere. Here in Michigan it is a complete disaster.