Friday, March 12, 2010

Top Three Things to Like about (Early) Retirement

I took early retirement in my forties almost 2 1/2 years ago, in October, 2007. Even with the economic crisis that ensued, I have no regrets. In fact, I've enjoyed retirement very much so far. Here are my top three things to like about retirement:

  • Shorter and less stressful commutes. For all of my part time jobs, I drive outside of rush hour times. I no longer experience the routine traffic backups on the highways and major streets, which turned a 12 mile trip into a 45 minute commute.

    In addition, for two of the jobs, I commute less than three miles round trip. For another two, I commute less than 10 miles round trip. The fifth job has a twenty mile round trip commute, which may make me regret taking it. However, it has some good perks, and may lead to a similar part time job that is within 5 miles.

    Nowadays I can't believe that I used to tolearate about 1 to 1-1/2 hours commuting every day for work.


  • Trying out new jobs and careers. For 27 years, I invested tremendous effort into being better at what I did, including taking extensive training, creating development plans, and being evaluated annually. As a result, my focus became narrower and narrower.

    Since retiring, I've been trying out new careers, in the financial, education and public service fields. It has been a fun experience, and for which I have been paid :-)


  • More quality time with family. For me the best part of retirement is having the flexibility to spend time with my family. I am, able to attend all of our daughter's events, even those during the school. In addition, I can spend time alone with my spouse at least four to eight times a week, while our daughter is in school or at play dates.

    Best of all, I can take a vacation any time and for any length that is convenient for our family. And no working during vacation to minimize the catch up effort when returning.
  • Of course, there are other things I like about early retirement, including more sleep, more exercise and healthier eating. However, these don't yet rank as high as my top three.

    For more on Reaping the Rewards, check back every Friday for a new segment.

    This is not financial advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

    Copyright © 2010 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

    No comments: