Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Frugal and Productive Exercise

Since my heart surgery, I have made major lifestyle changes.  One change is to get at least 30 minutes of cardio exercise for 6 days a week.  (Coincidentally, this was similar to one of my new year's resolutions: getting 3 hours of exercise for three times a week.)  

During the winter, I had been using exercise machines in indoor gyms.  Although I'm find using exercise machines boring, I was resigned to using them since it was a convenient way to get the required exercise.  I was testing out fitness clubs to decide which one to join.  The minimum cost was $22/month.

However, last month I discovered a better option to getting my required exercise done.   For the past few years, I've been cutting our grass to create green yard waste to compost the previous fall's leaves.   While cutting the grass, I noticed that my heart rate achieved a 120 - 130 beats/minute range, which is the target for my cardio exercise.  So with the warmer weather, I am cutting my grass for 30 minutes a day, over five days.

By cutting my grass,  I get my exercise for free, but I accomplish something productive: lawn maintenance and composting.    In addition, I save time since I don't spend time driving to the exercise facility.

For more on The Practice of Personal Finance, check back every  Wednesday  for a new segment.

This is not financial or health advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2013 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: