Friday, March 20, 2009

Bloggers Who Have Retired Early

Today, I decided to create a list of bloggers who have retired early. Here were my criteria:

  • Retired under 50. While an arbitrary number, it seems retiring in one's forties (or younger) is aspirational.


  • No major wage earner in household. There were a number of bloggers who "retired" in their 20s and 30s, while their spouse continued working a full time job. For me, the non- working spouse is a stay at home parent, not retired. In addition, I do not consider quitting to become self employed as retirement, except in the case where they could live without working.

  • While I thought Google Search would make the task easy, it was surprisingly difficult to find bloggers that met the criteria. On the other hand, there are numerous blogs with authors who are trying to retire early, living on one income and having a stay at home parent, or quitting work to start their own business, which I don't consider as meeting my criteria.

    Here are the blogs, in alphabetical order, that I found which have authors that retired early.

  • Millionaire Mommy Next Door

  • My Wealth Builder

  • Retirement: A Full-Time Job
  • I'll keep looking for blogs to add to the list, but I'm not expecting to find many more. Perhaps most early retirees are too busy with other activities, and don't have time to blog and share their story :-)

    For more on Reaping the Rewards, check back every Friday for a new segment.

    This is not financial or retirement advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

    Copyright © 2009 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

    3 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Thanks for the link to my blog. I've had the same experience as you found, not a whole lot of bloggers out there that meet the "real" early retirement dream. I guess all the others just aren't blogging, huh?

    traineeinvestor said...

    I'm surprised that there are so few - intuitively there should be more.

    Hope you can add me to the list in about three years time.

    Cheers
    traineeinvestor

    pfstock said...

    It has been a while since I wrote much about early retirement. But, I did publish a recent post about early retirement on my blog. I think that my sentiment can summed up in one line:

    Early retirees are often willing to do what most people are not.

    Indeed, I think that many people could retire in their forties, but they are not willing to make the lifestyle changes required to retire early. As I approach the age where I could consider early retirement, I have a better understanding of why one would choose not to retire early. It is a big step with many changes, and it is a very personal choice...