Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Timeless Articles from the Archives #1

It's been over four years since I started My Wealth Builder. As I think about topics to write , I often remember, "I've written about that before," and decide to find a new topic. However, since many principles of personal finance are timeless, I want to include them in a recent post on My Wealth Builder. Therefore, I am starting a series called "Timeless Articles from the Archives" that will highlight posts written during the same week in 2006-2009.

My Wealth Builder was started on August 13, 2006. Since it was my first week of posting, I wrote a lot of timeless articles:-) That week's articles were focused on saving, investing and frugal living. In Saving is the Starting Point, I wrote,"Saving was the first thing I needed to do to create wealth." I still believe that saving is the foundation of building wealth, even after the financial crisis we've experience. In The Only Saving Strategy You'll Ever Need , I shared the "pay yourself first from every paycheck" savings strategy. Your Savings Goals shared our priority for saving: emergency fund, retirement, college and buying large ticket items. In The Really Reallies, I wrote about our investment strategy of focusing on CDs that were paying 5-6%, when people believed interest rates would go higher. That strategy helped minimize our losses during the stock market crash in 2008-09. We still own some of those CDs today, which vindicated are decision to be a contrarian. To wrap up the week, I wrote about frugal living in Buy Only What You Need, which we still practice.

Most of the week in 2007 was focused on the stock market. However, I did write one timeless piece titled, Signs of Being Considered for a Promotion.

Based this post, it appears many of my timeless articles were written in the early years of My Wealth Builder. It will be interesting to see if future articles show the same bias.

For more on The Practice of Personal Finance, check back every Wednesday for a new segment.

This is not financial advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2010 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

1 comment:

Acton Wealth Management said...

You have a very informative and helpful blog. People who have little knowledge on managing their own wealth could really pick up a lot of things from your blog. Hope to read more from you soon!