Sunday, November 27, 2011

Trying a Single Contact Lens for Vision Correction

One of my disappointments with getting older was the need to wear reading glasses.   For reference, I don't need reading glasses normally.  I only need reading glasses when wearing contacts or glasses.   Without any vision correction, I can read fine since my close vision is excellent.   In 2007, I had resigned myself to a life of wearing bifocal contacts or reading glasses with regular contacts.  I chose reading glasses with regular contacts since that was the less expensive option.

Recently, my eye doctor suggested another option:  use a contact in only one eye.  Thus, the eye with the contact will have 20/20 distance vision and the uncorrected eye will have reading vision.   I thought this was an idea worth trying.   First, I had played sports without vision correction until my late twenties and thus, used  only one eye for distance vision.  Second, only using one contact will cost less and take less effort since I will only need a lens for one eye.

Today, I started the experiment with using one contact lens in the eye with the worse vision.  The main adjustment I will have is getting used to my worse vision eye having the better distance vision.   Perhaps, the adjustment will be easier since the worse vision eye is also my dominant eye.  I'll try it for a week and see how it goes.
For more on New Beginnings, check back every Sunday for a new segment.

This is not financial or health advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2011 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

2 comments:

Miss T @ Prairie Eco-Thrifter said...

Interesting. I would think you would get a real headache from doing this. You would think there would be straining. Guess not considering your doc mentioned it. I will definitely have to keep this in mind if I ever have this issue.

Super Saver said...

You're correct there is an adjustment since one eye is doing either the near or far vision work. In my case, my eyes have had significantly different vision all my life. So the adjustment may have been a little easier for me. To me, it's been an easier adjustment than using bifocals.