Sunday, October 14, 2012

My Health Insurance Premium is Up Again

"The reforms we seek would bring greater competition, choice, savings, and inefficiencies to our health care system, and greater stability and security to America's families and businesses. For the average American, it will mean lower costs, more options, and coverage you can count on." ~ President Obama in a speech on health care reform at Children's National Medical Center in Washington, D.C. on July 20, 2009

My Health Care insurance premiums have increased every year since Obamacare passed.  For 2013, they will increase again.  I wonder when I'll see some savings promised by President Obama?

Here is a summary of my health care cost rise on  percentage basis, with 2009 being the base cost when Obamacare was passed.


Percent Increase in Cost
YearYear to YearCumulative
2009
Base
Base
2010
3.9%
3.9%
2011
11.7%
16.0%
2012
10.1%
27.7%
2013
7.2%
36.9%

For reference, prior to 2008 our health care premiums were covered under an employer plan since I had not retired.

My analysis shows that our health care premiums have been increasing ever since Obamacare was passed.  Maybe they would have increased anyway and maybe our premiums will decrease in 2014 after Obamacare goes into effect.  

Maybe...but I'm not holding my breath :-)

For more on New Realities, check back every Sunday for a new segment.


This is not financial or health care insurance advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2012 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: