Friday, January 15, 2010

Time is Starting to Pass Faster

Since taking early retirement in 2007, 2008 and 2009 seemed to go by at a leisurely pace. I've been enjoying the transition, spending more time with family and exploring different opportunities for a retirement career. However, 2010 seems to be going by much faster. Even though it's only mid January, I already feel like I need to get ready for spring. Here's why I think time is suddenly speeding up for me:
  • Over 50. When I retired, I was in my forties. In 2008, I turned 50, which didn't seem to far away from my forties. However, in 2010, I'll be 52 which feels clearly in the fifties, a long way from my forties. Suddenly, it doesn't seem too long before I'll be sixty, and then seventy.


  • Last year of pre-school. Our daughter is in her final year before kindergarten. Thus, we still have flexibility to take vacations off season, since we don't mind taking her out of school. Once she is in kindergarten, our vacation schedules will be determined by her school holidays.


  • Retirement work becoming routine. Over the past two years, I've taken on a seasonal and two part time jobs. This will be the third year for the seasonal job and the second year for the part time jobs. My retirement jobs have become the norm. Having regular jobs seems to make time go by faster.
  • The feeling of time passing faster is causing a sense of urgency. There is so much I'd still like to do. Although early retirement created a lot more available time initially, I now realize that my time is still limited and I need to put more focus on the what I want to get done.

    For more on Reaping the Rewards, check back every Friday for a new segment.

    This is not financial or retirement advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

    Copyright © 2010 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

    1 comment:

    dandan45 said...

    I agree that retirement can be a very rewarding time of life. Spending part of it in a seasonal or part time job can be equally rewarding, if one loves the work they are doing and feel that they are contributing. Working for pay or for satisfaction as a volunteer, mentor, tutor are all ways to contribute and make the most of your retirement, whether you started at age 50 or age 65.