Wednesday, October 23, 2013

An Unstoppable Stock Market

"I believe the United States economy is extremely resilient and will recover to reach new highs."  ~ my father-in-law in 2009.

My father-in-law had unfailing confidence in the U.S. economy over the long term.   He believed that short term disruptions were a buying opportunity.   We often debated the merits of timing versus fundamental investing.  

He would have appreciated this last minor pull back due to the government shutdown and debt ceiling crisis.  He would have been buying and benefiting from the subsequent market advance.  On the other hand, I was convinced there would be a 10% correction and waited for a further decline, which did not happen.  

My lesson is to follow my buying every dip plan going forward, even if I expect a 10% or greater correction.

For more on The Practice of Personal Finance, check back every  Wednesday  for a new segment.

This is not financial or investing advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2013 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: