Saturday, May 04, 2019

Doing the Unthinkable

"I made a fortune getting out too soon." ~ J.P. Morgan

Despite the market hitting all time highs again this week, I'm looking to exit the market.   Well, not completely, but definitely with my peripheral holdings that are profitable, and a significant part of our core holdings.

I've already gone to 100% Cash/CDs in my daughter's 529 account.   Since then I've been scaling out of our investments in smaller chunks.   I sold parts of the peripheral holdings in my personal investment strategies.   I've been taking profits in stocks that were purchased in November/December 2018.   I've been selling part of some core holdings (specifically REITs) that are up significantly.

Yesterday, I gave instructions on selling a big piece, closing out one of the investment managers at a brokerage.  The manager has done acceptably well, but again, I prefer to lock in the gains that have occurred to date.   The close out will happen later next week, so I won't mind the market continuing to advance through next week.

Everything is on the table for selling, except my company stock, which I am holding to do an NUA.  By the end of May, I plan to exit another investment manager account.

Why all the sudden selling?

  • First, on yield curve inverted in late 2018, and another yield curve inverted in March 2019.  Typically, a recession has occurred 7-24 months after a yield curve inversion.
  • The rebound from the December 24, 2018 lowest has been parabolic.  Our gains in the first four months of 2019 would be a good return for most entire years.   It can't continue at this rate, and if it does, a market crash is very likely.
So I am selling early, know full well that I may miss out on some gains.   But that's a risk I'm willing to take to sleep better at night.


For more on Reflections and Musings, check back every Saturday for a new segment.

This is not financial or investment advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2019 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: