Saturday, April 23, 2022

On Solving the Student Loan Debt Problem

 “If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes thinking about the problem and five minutes thinking about solutions.” ~ Albert Einstein

Here's how I would define the problem:

We give unlimited loans to 18 year olds who may choose a major that is unlikely to lead to a job that pays enough to easily cover the loan payment after normal living expenses.

My solution is to gather the data on pay that graduates of different majors get from their jobs.   Normalize living expenses for location differences.  Calculate the maximum loan payment a graduate can make, assuming wage growth over 10 years.   Set a maximum loan amount for that major by school.

Seems relatively doable to me.

I would do this work before forgiving any student loan debt.  Otherwise, student loan debt will become an issue again in the future.

For more on Reflections and Musings, check back Saturdays for a new segment.

This is not financial nor education advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2022 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: