Business Week recommended the following strategies for one's Thirties and I included my brief comments in blue:
- Concentrate on your career. This the time to demonstrate leadership, which will lead to higher responsibility and higher pay.
- Start a family. Hopefully, one's twenties has created some financial stability. This is probably the latest most folks (for physical and financial reasons) should wait to have kids.
- Set goals. Having goals is a must to help keep focus.
- Stash your cash. Keep putting money away for early retirement. Saving around 20% o income is a good target.
- Enroll in high deductible health insurance plan. I think high deductible plans are great for people in great health. We prefer a good co-pay plan, since it provides more flexibility.
Overall, I would summarize the thirties as "grow and protect one's wealth." Again, the recommendations were good for someone in their thirties. I also would include having the right additional insurance - i.e. disability, auto, and renters/homeowners.
For more on Reaping the Rewards , check back every Friday for a new segment.
This is not financial advice. Please consult a professional advisor.
Copyright © 2007 Achievement Catalyst, LLC