Saturday, September 15, 2007

Why I Don't Publish My Financial Values

Although I publish My Wealth Builder under a pseudonym, I have not shared any absolute financial numbers, except for my Stock Purchase Updates on the modified Unemotional Investor system. Here are the reasons I don't share the actual numbers:

It's consistent with my normal behavior. I don't share personal financial values (savings, retirement account, etc.) with friends, colleagues or acquaintances. However, I will talk about my stock investment system and results. I don't see any reason to change that principal in writing My Wealth Builder, even if it's done anonymously.

My identity may be discovered. Someday when this blog is read by millions, a colleague or neighbor may be able to piece together enough details to guess my identity. A very low probability, but still worth protecting against :-)

Absolute numbers are interesting but not meaningful. Saving enough to be wealthy or retiring is relative. Someone that makes $25,000 will need a different amount than someone who makes $150,000 per year. For me, ratios (e.g. savings and debt) are the relevant values to manage.

For more on Reflections and Musings, check back every Saturday for a new segment.

Photo Credit: morgueFile.com, Kathy Bishop

This is not financial advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2007 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: