Our traditional education focuses on skills appropriate for doing today's jobs. These skills include: memorization and pattern recognition, following instructions, analysis of problems with known solutions and effective execution of physical and mental tasks. While these skills are necessary, having only these skills will not be sufficient to be successful in the future.
Skills related to "creating a new future" are ones that I think will be important for my daughter. They include:
- Setting a goal for something important that has not yet been done.
- Gathering potentially relevant information.
- Analyzing the data and choosing the pertinent results.
- Making decisions on what efforts are needed to achieve the goal.
- Collaborating with others to achieve the goal.
These are the important skills that I will want to teach our daughter to augment the excellent traditional education she will receive.
For more on Crossing Generations, check back every Thursday for a new segment.
Photo Credit: morgueFile.com, Jose
This is not financial, parenting or education advice. Please consult a professional advisor.
Copyright © 2007 Achievement Catalyst, LLC