For most of my life, I did low price maxxing. I would try to save money constantly on purchases. I could give infinite examples, but will only do a few for perspective.
- I clip coupons or wait for regular sales to buy the products I use. Then I buy a larger quantity to benefit.
- I have an almost photographic memory prices paid. Easy for me to do since I'm a numbers person and can remember purchases I've made in the past few weeks without checking. I regularly take advantage of stores that price match if price drops within 30 days.
- For gasoline discounts, I'll will take multiple cars to take advantage for big ones, like $1 off, for the whole family.
- I use points for hotel stays and airline flights, which results in the cost being free or a small charge. In fact, for hotel stays the numerous taxes are eliminated. For airlines, I still need to pay a small tax of about $10 max.
IMHO, this act of frugality help me retire early successfully in my late forties. Even after retiring, I continued to low price max for many purchases. I enjoy low price maxxing. I sometimes included my family in some low price maxxing activities, but they sometimes felt like it was bothersome effort with low return.
Since our retirement financial situation has become more sustainable, I have backed off significantly from asking my family to also low price max. Although my family knows they don't need to low price max, they will participate in some low effort elements, like buying more when on sale, but avoid doing most others like using coupons. For me, habits are hard to break and I continue to low price max but not a rigorously as before.
One thing I will not do to low price max: Install an app, which restaurants often require. I low price max at an app restaurant by not going there. LOL. My daughter, however, regularly gets lower prices with the restaurant app.
This is not financial, purchasing, nor shopping advice. Please consult a professional advisor.
Copyright © 2026 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments:
Post a Comment