Featured Post

Expecting Higher Long Term Interest Rates

Recently, I was thinking that buying 20 year treasuries yielding 5% was a good option to lock in a good interest rate.  After TLT, the 20+ y...

Thursday, September 03, 2026

My Father-in Law's Investing Strategy

My Father-in-Law had a very successful stock investment strategy which beat the S&P returns until 2011 when he passed away.

Here's what he did:
  • Identified potential stocks through The Motley Fool and Jim Cramer's Mad Money Show.
  • Using standard metrics such as P/E, he determined the "fair" price.
  • He would put in a good-til-canceled (GTC) limit buy order at the fair price, which was typically below the market price.
  • Once he acquired the stock, he would calculate a sell price, again based on metrics.   He would put in a GTC limit sell order at the sell price.
  • He checked his portfolio status once per month.
Since he regularly beat the S&P 500,  I was impressed and tried to copy a few of his stock picks, but was unable to match his success because I didn't have the same conviction in the methodology that he did.   

Disclosure:  I was not compensated by the Motley Fool nor CNBC for this post.

For more on Crossing Generations, check back every Thursday for a new segment.

This is not financial, stock picking, nor investment advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2026 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: