I've been married almost 31 years. When we first got married, I continued to wash my own clothes since we both worked. After getting transferred to an overseas assignment, my spouse did both our laundry since she was "retired." When we returned, my spouse stayed "retired." continued to do my laundry and those of our child. She also did all the cooking. I retired 4 years later. At some time, I don't remember exactly, I started doing my own laundry. I have been doing my own laundry for over 15 year now.
I wash my own clothes for the following reasons:
- It's easy to do while multi-tasking. I'm retired and at home many days. I can put a load in the washer and go about my day. If I remember (LOL), I can put it in the dryer or hang up delicates to dry. Later in the day, I can put away dried clothes.
- I like to know where my clothes are. I remember where I put my clean clothes. If I don't put them away, I waste a lot of time looking for them. Finally, I like to wash my clothes when I think I need them.
- I dry my clothes either by dryer (hot or gentle) or "line" dry. For reference, I line dry by putting the article on a hangar in the closet to dry. Most items are dried gentle, with underwear and socks dried hot.
- I don't lose socks. When clothes are washed as part of a big family batch, one of my socks often disappears due to being caught up in another persons clothes in the dryer. When I do my own clothes, the worst case is it is mixed with my own clothes. I've only lost 1 sock in the years I've been doing my own laundry.
I also do my own sewing on damage clothes, but that is topic for another post.
This is not financial nor household chore advice. Please consult a professional advisor.
Copyright © 2026 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments:
Post a Comment