With inflation and war risks, I plan to hodl gold, oil and silver investments we currently own. However, I'm not adding more since my goal is to simplify our investment holdings.
Here's what we own:
- Gold and silver ETFs and stocks in gold and silver miners.. Inherited from spouse's parents' IRAs. I sold some near the recent peak. Although, I've committed to hodling and not selling positions in my spouse's account, these were inherited after 2019 and must be liquidated before 10 years.
- Junk silver coins. I purchased these in 2011 when silver was at or near a low. I was teaching my the 7 year old daughter about coin collecting and invest. We visited a monthly coin and stamp show and bought a few items each month. We bought 90% junk silver coins and some collectible silver proof sets.
- Gold bars. A couple years ago, I was walking into Costco and the greeter pointed at the gold price sign and said, "We're selling below spot price, right now," and showed me spot on his phone. I couldn't resist getting a deal, which include a 2% rebate for my executive membership and 2% reward on my credit card. I only bought 1 bar. In hindsight, I should have bought the limit of 5.
- Oil stocks. I own a few oil stocks: CRGY, HP, HAL, RIG and NBR. RIG and NBR will likely not/never break even. CRGY is profitable or underwater depending on the account. HP and HAL have a good chance to be profitble.
We had previously owned gold miners and ETFs in our taxable accounts, but as usual, I sold them for a small profit after being underwater for many years since I bought near a previous peak in 2011.
Here is my plan:
- As gold and silver rise, I will take the opportunity to begin scaling out as it gets closer to previous ATH. I will also sell some jewelry for scrap.
- As oil rises, I will sell HP and HAL as they become profitable. I will sell RIG and NBR immediately if they break even. I will hodl CRGY in the taxable account since it is already profitable and scale out of CRGY in the IRAs as they become profitable.
Of course, gold, oil and silver may not rise, which means we will continue to hodl. I am prepared to sell if the should rise significantly.
This is not financial, precious metal investment, nor investment advice. Please consult a professional advisor.
Copyright © 2026 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments:
Post a Comment