I recently attended a large outdoor volunteer recognition event. It was in a park and catered as a cookout. For reference, my volunteer assignment is by myself and I interact very little, maybe 30 seconds each time, with other volunteers or employees. Thus, I attend the recognition by myself and sit with people I meet for first time.
By chance, I usually sit at a table where people have met for the first time. The conversations are usually superficial, like where does one volunteer, and enjoyable. This year I sat with a group where the three of then women knew each other well. After sharing where I volunteered, I mostly listened to the conversation, about various topics, sports, kids, volunteer opportunities.
Then the most talkative of the women turned to me and asked what I was passionate about. First, I wasn't ready for anything other than small talk, or chit chat conversations. Second, I wasn't interested in sharing my passions with strangers that I just met, like finances, taxes, retirement income, etc. I froze and she tried to help me by offering my volunteer work area. Finally, I said, "I really don't have anything I'm passionate about," which led to her joking she was passionate about the volunteer work she did.
Afterwards, I thought about this and concluded I ought to have a ready response in the future.
- I'm passionate about investments, income and taxes. True, but it sounds too nerdy. I didn't think briefly about giving this answer, but decided not to do so. I didn't feel it was a good answer for people that were strangers.
- I'm passionate about helping my kids to be successful. True and probably relevant with a group of women, but not my style.
- I'm passionate about making it to the next day. Yeah, that's me also, but probably too cynical for a social discussion.
- I'm not passionate about any area. What are you passionate about? I think this would have been the best answer to strangers. Tosses the focus back to the original requester, which I feel is appropriate.
Yeah, next time I'll be ready with the fourth option, which I feel is best in the situation.
This is not financial nor socializing advice. Please consult a professional advisor.
Copyright © 2026 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments:
Post a Comment