Sunday, January 13, 2008

Mental Preparation for 2008 Politics

Now that 2008 is upon us, I am ready to engage in the Presidential campaign which has already been with us for a year since Senator Hillary Clinton's candidacy announcement. Since I retired in my forties in 2007, I will have a new perspective going into this year's election. I will be looking for for several attributes in the candidate I will eventually support. Here are the characteristics I believe will be important:

  • Leadership to do what's needed. I believe the next four years will determine whether the U.S. will continue to be a global leader. To me, our economic, educational, political standings are slipping. They will continue to fall unless the government begins to focus and makes some tough decisions on what to do and what not to do. This kind of leadership cannot be driven by voter sentiment and special needs interests.


  • A track record that supports their platform. I am getting tired of candidates who morph their platform and positioning as needed based on voter sentiment. After all, leadership will require them to take positions that may be unpopular, in order to do what's right for the country. In addition, I want to have confidence the candidate won't "morph" again once he or she is in office.


  • A vision I (and many others) can support. I'd like to know the candidates' visions of the future America and how their platform will get us there. The only element I seem to hear about is which special interest they will support. I want to know what kind of country they want to create and, specifically, how their programs and policies will enable creating that vision.
  • At this point, I think the U.S. needs great leadership as provided by Presidents like Washington, Lincoln, and, most recently, Roosevelt. We need a President who can rally the country to do what's needed and what's right to do, even if the elements may be very difficult.

    For more on New Beginnings, check back every Sunday for a new segment.

    Photo Credit: morgueFile.com, Tess

    This is not financial or political advice. Please consult a professional advisor.
    Copyright © 2008 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    Whomever is elected needs to balance making the tough decisions with what THE AMERICAN PEOPLE WANT...
    For the last few years President Bush has been following an agenda that has not is what NOBODY WANTS...
    The problem is not with the candidates as much as the media...
    At least this election year more people seem to be motivated to listen, learn, and participate in the process...