Sunday, April 27, 2008

Not Enough Time To Do Everything

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst." - William Penn

I confess, I stopped using a calendar to schedule my life when I retired in my forties last year. I wanted freedom from a schedule. The upside has been having the flexibility to do fun activities with family and friends at a moments notice. However, the downside has been a reduction in project completion. For example, I have only done 50% of the fall/winter maintenance projects that I had planned.

At this point, it's not clear to me whether my loss of time is due to: 1) Too many projects; 2) Inefficiencies in doing each project; 3) Sleeping 8-9 hours instead of 5 hours; or 4) Too many fun distractions. In any case, I think I need to begin using a slightly more rigorous project planning and calendar system. However, since I am retired, I will try to firmly schedule no more that 4 hours per day. I'd still like the majority of my time to be "free." I try this for a month and see if it is a reasonable compromise.

For more on New Beginnings, check back every Sunday for a new segment.

This is not financial or retirement advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2008 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: