Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Save by Pre-ordering Parts Online

I try to do as much of my car maintenance as possible to save money.  Changing cabin air filter in our car costs about $60 at the dealer.   I can buy the part for about $20 and it only takes 5 minutes to change.   

Today, I got an additional savings of $5 on the part.   It turns out if I order the part online and pick it up at the dealer, it only costs $15, instead of $20 if I walk into the dealer at purchase.  I guess I save the parts person time by not asking questions when I pick up.  However, if I need help choosing the part online, the parts person will help me choose the correct part.   Thus, I don't understand the reason for the savings.

In this case, my is not to question why, but to order online and save when I buy.

For reference, this is not an extra trip either.  I usually buy the part when I go in for an oil change, which I do at the dealer, since the cost is often about the same as buying the parts/oil and doing it myself.

For more on The Practice of Personal Finance, check back Wednesdays for a new segment.

This is not financial nor car maintenance advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2021 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: