Thursday, November 01, 2007

A Safe Car for a New Driver

Although our daughter is still 13 years away from driving, I already have picked a good car for her, a classic boxy Volvo 240 DL:-) Here are the reasons:


Built like a tank. 16 year old drivers are three times more likely to have an accident with injuries than drivers of all ages. Volvos are designed with a structural cage to protect the passenger compartment. If one uses seat belts, a Volvo will likely provide maximum protection in the event of an accident.

Not a cool car to drive. Classic Volvos, while safe, are probably not the first choice of teenagers to drive. They are pretty uncool looking. Thus, the car would not be driven frequently:-)

Safe and infrequently driven, the best of both worlds for a new teenage driver. Unfortunately since the last Volvo 240 DL was produced in 1993, it may be hard for me to find one 13 years from now:-)

Credit for the idea: Tom and Ray Magliozzi, Car Talk

For more on Crossing Generations check back every Thursday for a new segment.

Photo Credit: Wikipedia

This is not financial or parenting advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2007 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post. On the first day I got my license I totaled my older sister's red 240 DL in a near head on collision with a pickup truck. The only thing that happened inside the car was that the hood flipped up and the radio turned off. That's it. The car barely moved. When my parents finally fought off the urge to strangle me, they rewarded me with a brand new... aqua 240 DL. Great car.

Anonymous said...

Great suggestion.

I'm late getting around to visit all of the Carnival participants. (Crazy week . . . only excuse!)

THANK YOU for being part of Colloquium's inaugural edition. I appreciate your support.

Don't forget that this week's Carnival will be hosted at All Rileyed Up. If you haven't submitted a post yet, you can do so until midnight (Pacific Time) tonight!

Anonymous said...

I would disown you if you were my parents buying me this ugly car. No matter the safety. (Edited)