Featured Post

Off Topic - Presidential Election

This year's Presidential election is the toughest one I've ever voted in. My dilemma is that I don't like either of the major pa...

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Sticking To My Stock Investment Strategies

The August, 2007 correction and the volatility of early November, 2007 have tested my conviction in the investment strategies that I use. I am pleased to say that I haven't wavered yet and am staying with the strategies. Here are the strategies that I am using:

Diversified equity portfolio (domestic and foreign) with a bias toward large cap growth. This is the majority of my stock portfolio and it is managed by a professional advisor on an asset based fee. I have hired a manager because I believe it is important to be invested in the stock market AND I know the manager will keep me invested during the volatile times when I might cash out. My personal inclination is to trade and time the market, which is not necessarily a good strategy as I wrote in Afraid Of Investing In The Stock Market?.

Even though it has been painful to see the declines of the past few days, I have not withdrawn any funds from this segment.

Modified Unemotional Investor Growth portfolio. For a small part of my portfolio, I use a modified Unemotional Investor Growth system to buy and sell stocks. Since I starting using this system in late 2004, I have had positive returns with each portfolio. The most recent results were shared in the 11/12/07 Stock Purchase Update.

One selection from the 5/28/07 buy list, Potash (POT) has not received a sell signal and I continue to hold this position. Originally, I delayed purchasing the 10/15/07 updated buy list. Yesterday, I decided to buy Southern Copper (PCU) and CNH Global NV (CNH) because they were below the price on 10/15/07, when I thought they were a little over priced.

Core Long Term Stock Holdings. For another small part of my portfolio, I have purchased three stocks that I believe will have large returns in the long term, Google, Amazon and General Electric. Even though Google and Amazon have recently declined 20%, I am still holding on to these stocks.

Foreign ETFs is the area where I don't have a good buy and sell strategy yet. I purchased the China ETF (FXI) and the Brazil ETF (EWZ) in early September, 2007 and sold out in October, 2007 because both had a 25+% gain in six weeks. Since FXI has declined below my October sell price, I have repurchased some shares, but I have not repurchased any EWZ yet.

For more on The Practice of Personal Finance, check back every Wednesday for a new segment.

Photo Credit: morgueFile.com, Derek Lilly

This is not financial or investing advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2007 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: