Monday, December 15, 2008

Be the Go-To Guy

Bulletproof Your Job: 4 Ways to Stay Employed by Patrick Erwin at CareerBuilder.com offers these four approaches, which are based on the book Bulletproof Your Job: 4 Simple Strategies to Ride Out the Rough Times and Come Out on Top at Work by Stephen Viscusi, for being valuable to an employer:
  • Be Visible - Simply, be noticed by one's management by taking certain actions. In addition to his examples, I would add "write summaries, proposals, and recommendations."


  • Be Easy - Don't cause trouble for one's boss. In my opinion, a time tested principle that many poor performers don't follow.


  • Be Useful - Take on additional work and consistently over deliver. If I had to give one factor credit for my mid-career success it would be this element.


  • Be Ready - To deal with any circumstance, including change. I would add to make "success" the only option.

  • Overall, I thought the points were good. Based on my career experience, I could simplify to one factor, "Be the go-to guy" for the high priority and crisis work. Looking back on my experience, I realize that I was the go-to guy for a number of important projects in our business in the middle of my career. It was during that time that I advanced significantly and quickly, both in level and compensation.

    For more on Strategies and Plans, check back every Monday for a new segment.

    This is not financial or career advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

    Copyright © 2008 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

    1 comment:

    Unknown said...

    Dear Patrick,

    Even though unemployment is 7% and may get higher, it’s still important for everyone to recognize that it means 93% of people still have jobs. My book, Bulletproof Your Job is the secret to keeping your job even during a recession. Let’s face it, when people use the word recession, its’ a blank check to fire ANYBODY subjectively.

    I know bosses who look on someone’s Facebook and fire them, because they didn’t like what they read.

    Buy the book USED if you have to, and use it as your Bible to keeping your job.
    Thanks Patrick. I think you’re helping a lot of people with this WONDERFUL blog.

    Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

    Happy Holidays & Best of Luck!!

    Stephen Viscusi
    Author of Bulletproof Your Job by Harper Collins Publishing
    www.BulletproofYourJob.com
    www.BulletproofYourResume.com
    Stephen@viscusi.com