Friday, February 22, 2019

Take Some of the Money and Run

"If it's too good to be true, then it probably is." ~ old adage.

While I am enjoying the market recovering from the late 2018 decline, I realize that the rally won't continue forever.  That would be too good to be true.  The advance will end and a subsequent decline will occur.  At that point, I usually wish I had sold some shares earlier.  So I am using the opportunity to take some profits now so that I won't have seller's regret later.

When there are no or very low commission costs,  I like to take a gradual approach to selling for profits by selling only a few shares versus the entire lot.  That way if the market continues to go up, I can sell later for greater profits per share.  So going gradually allows me to lock in some gains, while hedging against a further advance.    If the market goes down, I will have taken some profits at a higher price, which gives me some satisfaction.

 Of course, if the cost is the $4.95 per trade, it isn't cost effective trade a few shares.   But if the cost is only a few cents or 0 per trade, then the above strategy can be done cost effectively.

For more on Reaping the Rewards, check back Fridays for a new segment.

This is not financial  or investment  advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2019 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: