Sunday, August 11, 2019

The Hypocrisy of Most "FIRE" Retirees

"...most of the "FIRE" adherents don't stop working. They just transition from a traditional job to the gig economy, and continue earning income from other sources.  Most are not 'financially indepenent'  as they do need that side income to continue to pay expenses, but they don't have a standard job any more." ~ Slug II, yahoo commenter.

I agree and the other "FIRE" hypocrisy I notice is one spouse (usually the male) "retiring," while the other spouse continues working.    In my childhood, this was called a typical single income family with a stay at home mom/parent.

If I applied the "FIRE" hypocrisy to our situation, my spouse retired at 37.   In reality, she quit working so that I  could advance my career with an international transfer and promotion, and subsequently to raise our daughter.

I even hear of some "FIRE" retirees advocating using government assistance programs such as SNAP, to support their "early retirement." :-(   In my opinion, that's called welfare.

To note, I have no issue with doing non traditional, non corporate jobs or a single parent working to earn an income.  In fact, I think that is a good thing to learn for future generations.  I'm just opposed to the approach being labeled as "retiring early."

For more on  New Beginnings, check back Sundays   for a new segment.

This is not financial advice or retirement. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2019 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: