Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Our Internet Provider Reduced the Monthly Charge

Recently, I got a pleasant surprise from our Internet provider. Our monthly fee was reduced 25%, from $40 to $30 per month. It is now comparable to introductory offer prices from various providers. Interestingly, the price reduction was not automatic. The provider left two voice message, sent one post card informing us of the new price and gave instructions on calling to get the deal.

Of course, I called and the provider informed me that I could get a price reduction to $30/month. Here was the gist of the conversation:

"Any other fees?" I asked, expecting a one time charge.
"No."
"Any contracts, or other requirements?" I asked.
"No."
"It's a price reduction with no requirements?" I checked.
"Yes."
"This sounds like a no brainer answer. Is there any reason I shouldn't accept?" I questioned, with a bit of disbelief.
"No."
"The why do you need to ask?," I queried.
"We're required to ask the customer before making any change."

I checked with a friend later that week and he didn't get any offer to reduce monthly fees from the same provider. I wonder if it's because I've been periodically calling and asking if they will match the introduction cost of new broadband providers. Hmmm....

For more on Ideas You Can Use, check back every Tuesday for a new segment.

This is not financial advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2008 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: