Sunday, May 18, 2008

Attitudes Towards My Early Retirement

It's been been over 8 months since I retired in my forties in October, 2007. Originally, I don't think many people thought I had really retired. Conversations often were about job opportunities or what job I was doing next. People were often surprised when I said I wasn't actively looking.

After 8 months, I think people now believe that I really have taken the leap to retirement and the conversation topics are shifting. Recently, as I was playing outside with our daughter on a weekday afternoon, a neighbor commented how great it is that retirement enabled spending more time with our child. Yesterday, the mom of a daughter's friend mentioned her husband would love to retire like I have.

In hindsight, I guess the original reactions aren't surprising. After all, I only know of one other person who retired in his forties. I hope I will be able to set a positive example that others can follow :-)

For more on New Beginnings, check back every Sunday for a new segment.

This is not financial or retirement advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2008 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: