Thursday, February 24, 2011

Saying Goodbye

“Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.” ~ Dr. Seuss

For me, one of the toughest things as I get older is having to say goodbye family and close friends when they pass away. When I was younger, the death of a family member or close friend was a rare event. I only had one grandparent when I was born, and she lived overseas. A close friend from high school died in a car accident when I was college. Other than those two people, no one close to me has passed away.

Then in 2005, my dad became ill and subsequently passed away in 2006. During his illness, I was able to tell him that he was a great dad and how he had done a excellent job raising his children. I also thanked many times him for everything he had done. We thought he would fully recover, and then he suddenly passed away. I miss him very much.

Now my father-in-law is very ill. His time is short and he has just entered hospice. I have been able to talk to him for a few minutes in private. I let him know that I've enjoyed very much all the economic discussions and debates that we have had. I also told him I would help with his financial investments to the best of my ability. He eyes lit up as we talked financial matters, and I know he understood that I would miss him.

I'm not looking forward to the future inevitable goodbyes as I get older. Instead, I would rather remember the good times that I enjoyed with someone. Hopefully, when it's my time to go, my family and close friends will also smile for our good times together :-)

For more on Crossing Generations, check back every Thursday for a new segment.

This is not financial or grieving advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2011 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: