Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Timeless Articles from the Archives #47

It's been over four years since I started My Wealth Builder. As I think about topics to write , I often remember, "I've written about that before," and decide to find a new topic. However, since many principles of personal finance are timeless, I want to include them in a recent post on My Wealth Builder. Therefore, I have started a series called "Timeless Articles from the Archives" which highlights posts from the same week in 2007-2010.


2007

Less Than Half of Americans Have Job Satisfaction - This was the lowest percentage in 20 years.  I wonder how the Great Recession has affected job satisfaction.

I Won't Follow This Advice #4 - I don't like to pay for something I can get for free.

My Daughter's Currency - We've evolved to coupons which have some cash value.


2008

Riding A Bear Market    -  Bear markets offer shorting and buying opportunities.
Navigating Investments In Turbulent Times     -   Currently, I have sold most of our stock holding, contrary to what I wrote in this article :-)  Time will tell if I should have stayed invested or not.

Paid Volunteer Work - I consider all my paid jobs could be "paid volunteer" work, since I am compensated much less than my the job from which I retired.


2009

Early Retirement Strategy - Save, Invest and Repeat Often   - A simple and effective strategy.

Owning versus Renting a Home during Retirement  - Since a house ties up significant funds, I considered the benefits of renting after our daughter graduates from high school.


2010

Work for Love or Work for Money?    -  Here's my experience with both options. Working for love is fun but doesn't pay much.  Working for money pays more but is not as fun.

Taxes are Going Up - No Surprise   -  Just a matter of when, not if :-)


 To me, the content of these posts are still relevant today and worth reading again.

For more on The Practice of Personal Finance, check back every Wednesday for a new segment.

This is not financial, retirement, parenting, tax, investing, career or saving advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2011 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: