Friday, August 04, 2017

No Regrets for Retiring Early

"Lot less money, but a lot more time." ~ me on early retirement.

It's been almost 10 years since I took early retirement at 49.   Looking back, it was extremely challenging due to the Great Recession, and I gave up a significant amount of earnings.  So the question is, "Would I do it all over again?"    The answer is, "YES!"

Here are the reasons:
  • I might not be alive today.  Five years after retiring, doctors found significant blockages in my arteries.  I suspect I may have had a heart attack due to stress if I had continued working.
  • I received retiree health insurance from my company.  So I didn't need to find private insurance or use Obamacare.
  • I could focus on what was best for me and my family, instead of what was best for the company and its employees.  This is much more rewarding for me.
  • I had time to see my children grow up.  My daughter was three when I retired.  My son was adopted 6 years after retiring.   I didn't miss a moment, which all seemed to go by too fast.
Of course, we would be better off financially, if I hadn't retired.  But overall, I think it was a good trade off.

For more on Reaping the Rewards, check back every  Friday for a new segment.

This is not financial or retirement advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2017 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: