I recently saw a video on You Tube titled Did You Know? The video clip shared a number of provocative facts and implications for our children, under the framework of Did You Know? I have summarized a few of the points, which I found most striking:
- In 2006, the U.S. had 1.3 million college graduates. India had 3.1 million. China had 3.3 million.
- 100% of India's college graduates speak English.
- In 10 years, China is predicted to become the largest English speaking country.
- 1 in 4 workers have been with their current employer less than one year.
- 1 in 2 workers have been with their current employer less than five years.
- Today's school age population will likely hold 10-14 jobs by the age 38.
- 1 in 8 couples that were married in 2005 met on-line.
- 2.7 billion searches were done on Google, this month.
- 230,000 users signed for My Space, today. If My Space was country, it would be the 8th largest.
- Today, the amount of technical knowledge is doubling every two years.
- By 2010, the amount of technical knowledge is predicted to double every 72 hours.
What Does This Mean?
- We are currently preparing students for jobs and technologies that don't exist .... in order to solve problems that we don't even know are problems yet.
- How are we preparing our children to be successful and competitive in this future?
For me, the implications are frightening. This is the world in which my daughter will grow up, a much more challenging and changing world. It will be important for me to prepare her for this future.
If you'd like to see the video, a couple of versions can by found on You Tube. Here is an earlier version of Did You Know? and a later version of Did You Know? updated by XPLANE.
For more on Crossing Generations, check back every Thursday for a new segment.
This is not financial, education or parenting advice. Please consult a professional advisor.
Copyright © 2007 Achievement Catalyst, LLC