Featured Post

Not Buying Things I Don't Need

2008 Financial Resolution #2: Stop Buying Great Deals by Chief Family Officer is an great financial resolution. It reminded me of the ...

Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Temporary Repair to Rusted Bathtub Leak

Periodically, we've had a leak from our second floor bathtub.  Typically, the leak shows up as a stain on our dining room ceiling.  Typically, I make some measurements which show it's likely coming from around the bathtub drain, overflow and faucet.  

In the past, I have re-caulked the bathtub wall tile interface that that seemed to work for a while.   When that stopped working,  I put a silicon funnel/spout on the overflow, since I thought the seal was leaking.  I also put a silicone funnel/spout on our master bath jacuzzi.   Both of these overflow solutions worked and solved the leaking tubs.

This recent leak, did not seem to be associated with caulking, since I just re-caulked to get rid of mold.   I checked the over flow drain and the seal was fine.   Finally, I checked the rusted area by the drain. I put a small amount of water in the area and it "disappeared" without going down the drain.  For reference, I had been painting the rusted area with acrylic refrigerator paint to improve the cosmetics.

I decided to buy an epoxy repair kit.  As I poked at the rusted area, chunks came and revealed a small how about 1/4" round.  I then used a drill to wire brush the area, which made the hole bigger and revealed another gap.

Rust around drain with touch up refrigerator paint removed:




I tried the white epoxy that I bought, but it was not viscous enough to effectively fill the hole.  I then used some gray JB Weld, which is slightly more viscous to fill the hole with 3-4 layers.   Then I covered the area with the white epoxy

Taped off to apply JB Weld and white epoxy:




Repaired:  Using JB Weld and white epoxy



While the repair is noticeable and not blended in, it is sufficient structurally to allow showering, and maybe even a bath.  However, the rust will continue and therefore, the bathtub will need replacing.  We're choosing to do it earlier, before another leak occurs.   In addition, we may choose to do a full bathroom remodel since replacing a bathtub requires replumbing, and retiling the walls.

Disclosure:  I was not compensated by JB Weld for this post.

For more on Ideas You Can Use, check back every  Tuesday for a new segment.

This is not financial, repair, or do-it-yourself advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2026 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: